As you may already have heard, the Canadian federal government has extended the 2020 tax filing deadline to June 1. According to the Canada Revenue Agency, the original filing date of April 30 was due to the COVID-19 pandemic currently wreaking havoc on the global economy. The extension is good news for those who need it. Whether filing now or later, Leonard Tam Professional Corporation can help. Our firm offers tax services and business consulting to small businesses in Toronto.
Challenges of Small Businesses
It can be hard to stay afloat when you’re a small business. The day-to-day tasks of running your business places constraints on your time. One of the things that often sneaks up on small business owners is tax return preparation and filing. Our experts can help keep your taxes in order year-round to prevent last-minute stress at tax-filing time.
We can help with:
- Filing and paying on time
Failing to file on time, non-filing and late payments can add up to significant penalties in addition to what you already owe. When filing an annual tax return late, the CRA will charge a penalty of 5 percent of the balance owed, plus an additional 1 percent for each month the return is late. Late payment penalties are extra and equal one-quarter of 1 percent each month. Extensions are possible if requested in a timely fashion. Our experts can navigate this process on your behalf.
- Paying estimated taxes throughout the year
No one likes to pay taxes, but it is required by law. Our accountants can work with you to ensure you never miss another quarterly payment or filing deadline.
- Tracking expenses and business deductions
Detailed records of all expenses should be kept as a business best practice, but especially for use at tax time. Our bookkeepers can help organize receipts and track expenses that can reduce your tax load at filing time.
Tax Tips for Small Businesses
At Leonard Tam Professional Corporation, we believe everyone should pay their fair share of taxes and not one penny more. Our CRA agents are up to date on the current tax code to ensure your business is receiving every deduction available. We won’t just prepare and file your 2020 taxes for you. We also provide strategies designed to maximize your benefits.
There are steps our experts can take to help minimize the income tax our small business clients pay each year.
- Maximizing your capital cost allowance is a smart move. Our tax professionals can calculate all the depreciable property your small business has purchased and determine how much can be claimed — and when — as an income tax deduction. CCA is not a mandatory deduction and does not have to be claimed in the year it occurs.
- Managing your Registered Retirement Savings Plan and Tax-Free Savings Accounts contributions is an excellent way to increase income tax deductions for small business owners. We can help you decide whether to make the maximum RRSP contribution each year depending on income fluctuations from one year to another.
- Maximize noncapital losses when your expenses exceed your income on your tax return. Those losses are used to reduce your income tax bill. Losses that occurred after 2005 can be applied to personal income earned three years before the current tax year, or up to 20 years forward. Our tax experts will work with you to determine which course of action is right for your business.
Leonard Tam established Leonard Tam Professional Corporation 25 years ago with the philosophy that no small business owner fits in a one-size-fits-all box. His sincere interest in helping people succeed is the driving force behind his business. His team consists of dedicated individuals who share his philosophy and work hard to deliver an amazing experience to clients.
Whether you’re looking for help with your 2020 taxes or tax returns, starting a business, or need accounting and bookkeeping services, reach out to us today online or by calling 416-783-2222 for a free consultation.